While I was pregnant I found lots of information about pregnancy and labour, but not much on what it’s like after having the baby and what postpartum products you may need! So I’ve compiled a list of things I found useful in the weeks following giving birth:
*This post may contain affiliate links, meaning I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. See full disclosure here.*
- Arnica 30C Tablets – A homeopathic remedy which is good for short term swelling
- Lansinoh Nipple Cream – A blessing if you’re breastfeeding!
- A Squeezy Douche Bottle – for those dreaded postpartum toilet trips
- Tea Tree Oil – good for adding to a bath as it assists with healing
- Soothing Postnatal Compress Solution – this has two uses, it can either be diluted in a sitz bath and applied straight to the perineum or soaked into a maternity pad
- Spritz For Bits – instant relief in the form of a spray for perineal tears or an episiotomy or c-section wound. It contains tea tree oil, lavender oil and witch hazel which have antibacterial and anti fungal properties. I wish I bought this sooner as I got it around 2 weeks postpartum and healed within days of using it!
- MAM MultiGyn Compresses – instant relief to any tears or an episiotomy wound *insert crying face*
- Maternity Pads – these are softer, longer and more absorbent than ordinary sanitary towels, and you may need them for a few weeks after birth
- Breast Pads – Whether you choose to breastfeed or bottle feed you’ll need to wear these in your bras to absorb any leaks while your milk supply stabilises
- Maternity Bras – I’d recommend buying a few of these as the cup unclips and folds down to make feeding easier
- Disposable Maternity Underwear/ Big Pants! – Having worn pretty knick knacks for years, I didn’t think I’d ever find myself in the supermarket buying big ‘granny pants’ but these are essential for postpartum bleeding and hold big maternity pads in really well. They are also ideal in the instance you have a C-Section as the band rests above the stitches.
I have included three products that provide relief to the perineum as I had the opportunity to use all three, but would most likely recommend the Spritz for Bits as it is easy to apply and had the most effect on myself.
I would advise buying postpartum essentials before giving birth as it may be uncomfortable shopping for them afterwards; I know I was in no fit state to be doing so as I could hardly walk! I have included links so you can locate the products if you wish to.
I hope you have enjoyed this post, it can be so daunting as a first time mom not knowing what is needed! If you have given birth, what postpartum products did you use?