I initially started this post when I was 39 weeks pregnant, having contractions and still packing my hospital bag. Although I consider myself an organised person, I can procrastinate and despite having the items to go into my suitcase for weeks, I didn’t quite get around to packing it until the last minute (bad idea!). I didn’t think I would need to pack much as I intended to have a quick delivery in a freestanding birth centre, but due to complications I ended up staying in hospital for 5 days. These are the items that I packed in my hospital bag:
- Lip balm! My lips got soo dry during labour! My partner told me he’d never seen my lips so dry and even offered to put it on for me, how cheeky is that! Lol
- Birth plan and hospital notes
- Toiletry bag – toothbrush, toothpaste, face wash, body wash, flannel, deodorant, body cream, shower cap, shaving foam and razor
- Postpartum essentials – Arnica 30C tablets, maternity pads, breast pads, nipple cream, douche bottle, perineal spray
- Maternity bra(s)
- Disposable knickers and full briefs
- Towel (the hospital ones aren’t great)
- Phone charger
- Comfortable H&M MAMA maternity joggers (the material of these are gorgeous)
- Maternity tops
- Maternity leggings
- Hair products (not that I got round to using them)
- Phone and/or high quality camera
- Pj’s and dressing gown
- Comfy outfit to go home in
- Snacks and drinks – water, isotonic drinks (for energy while in labour), Graze lemon flapjacks*drool* and Cadbury chocolate cereal bars *double drool*
And these are the items I wish I included!:
- Satin pillowcase – I have a relaxer and didn’t wrap my hair during labour, because lets face it that was the last thing on my mind. By the time I had my baby my hair was a dry mess and I was telling people not to take photos of me, lol!
- Donut cushion – I had an episiotomy and couldn’t sit down comfortably for weeks!
I used a small cabin sized suitcase from River Island (similar style linked here) as it was so practical. I was able to wheel it back and forth easily which was a necessity considering how many times I went to the hospital! It’s a decent size and held everything I needed easily, and when open I could see where everything was without having to rummage through. I decided to pack a separate bag for my baby as I always travel heavy! If you would like to know what was in my baby’s hospital bag please leave a comment and let me know!